Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Hair Rules to Enjoying Swim Time

Independence Day is right around the corner and I know you want to enjoy some pool time either now or later in the summer. It's a great way to cool off and exercise but I know it can be questionable when it comes to your hair. Relax, you can still join in on the fun. There are a couple of things you'll want to keep in mind though.
  • If you choose to wear a swim cap DON'T get one that's too tight. It can rip your hairline right out of your roots.
  • If you don't, before you take a dive in the pool rinse your hair with tap water. This helps your hair not absorb so much of the chlorine in the pool water. 
  • Bring a serum with you, after your tap water rinse you can apply a coat so your hair is protected from the force of the pool water. 
  • After you're done with your pool time rinse your hair out with tap water again. You don't want to walk around too long with chlorine water soaking your strands.
  •  Lastly, SHAMPOO! It's a must that you shampoo your hair after a day at the pool. No matter how many times you go during a week you have to wash that chlorine out. It's best to use a shampoo that contains Phytic Acid or EDTA. This will thoroughly get rid of the chlorine.
So now you have no excuse to not enjoy some pool time this summer. It just takes some precaution. Stick to the routine so that each time you go it won't forget the steps. I sometimes forget to rinse before which throws everything off because I forget to put my silicone serum in. If you don't already have a serum, buy a cheap one, no need to go all out. The most important is the shampoo, you have to cleanse your hair of the chlorinated pool water. Hope this helps you soak up some swim time now!

    Signing off, a true naturalista

2 comments:

  1. Amber, never heard of serum. I am a swimmer and I use a nylon cap, so water always gets in my hair. Even though I wash it, it dries my hair. It's the chlorine. It's one of the prices one pays for swimming, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use serum when I go swimming (which is not very often) and it works! It definitely helps minimize the damage. It is not only the chlorine that does the damage. The sun can seriously fry your hair if you are out there for too long.

    ReplyDelete