Sunday, June 14, 2015

Dove Hair: Love Your Curls Review

Anybody a fan of The Real? If not, it is a daytime talk show hosted by Tamar Braxton, Tamera Mowry, Loni Love, Jeannie Mai, and Adrienne Bailon. While I was going through my recordings of the show I watched an episode that featured a Dove commercial for their current Beauty campaign. I've posted it so you can watch it yourself.


It's called Dove Hair: Love Your Curls and it featured young girls from ages 5 to 11 years old expressing how they did not like their curly hair and preferred straight hair. Dove stated "only four out of ten curly haired girls think their hair is beautiful". The ad went on to celebrate curly haired girls by including their family and friends in a joyful praise singing, "we all love our hair, we all love our curls".

I thought this was a very inspirational and innovative advertisement for naturally curly haired females; it addressed a real problem that tends to get overlooked. While it was heart wrenching to see elementary school aged girls talk about their insecurities at such a young age, it reminded me that we have to build our younger generation to love and appreciate their identity. I salute Dove for using a variety of testimonies for their efforts to bring this awareness to a mainstream platform. Unlike a lot of advertisements and commercials on TV, Dove represented a diverse group of voices and I can personally appreciate that aspect. I think with more advertisements like this one the company can soar in being a part of the natural hair movement. Some people have criticized them for capitalizing on women's insecurities, but I'm very much impressed with their message and how they are presenting it to the public. Dove you get two thumbs up from me! #LoveYourCurls

    Signing off, a true naturalista.

11 comments:

  1. As someone who struggles with her curly hair, I really have to say that campaign resonated with me and it was nice to read about someone else's opinion on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me years to appreciate my curls, this ad really hit home for me too. Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
    2. I think its funny that girls without curly hair, me being one of them, seem to always crave the big beautiful curls you two gals talk about. I love curly hair so much that I mimic it by scrunching or styling it with a curler.

      Delete
    3. That's an interesting point you bring up Amanda. Back in high school my straight haired friends praised my curls and I admired their straight hair. If we all could just love what we have!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my hair is curly I want it straight and when it's straight I want it curly! I'm never happy. But I really did enjoy that commercial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! You're not alone, so many females are stuck in between about curly vs straight.

      Delete
  4. I love this commercial too, how it empowers young women to like what nature has given them. Dove has been doing a lot of empowering girls and women advertising, and so has Proctor & Gamble. I guess we are the new consumers! Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Dove has really started a positive campaign targeted the many insecurities young girls and women carry with them. I'm glad it being brought to the forefront and helping us appreciate what is a part of us.

      Delete
  5. Wow! what a powerful message. As a child of a hairdresser, I had wash and sets done from like age 8. I always heard everyone refer to my natural hair as unmanageable and that blowing it out was the only thing that could be done to tame it. Thanks so much for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the same way for me as a child up until 2 years ago. I had to go every other week to get my blow up because straight hair was more "manageable". I'm glad you could connect to the message.

      Delete