Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Welcome to the Natural Hair World!

 A naturalista's safe haven! 

This is my dedication to all those who are fighting the good fight against chemically processed hair aka "the creamy crack". Believe me when I tell you I know you're pain and struggle.

For those who don't know what a naturalista is, allow me to break it down for you. A naturalista is a female who does not chemically process her hair to alter its natural state/texture. While that may sound simple, IT IS NOT. Having natural hair means proper maintenance is a must in order to have healthy flowing hair. And that is where I come in, we can all use someone else's experience as a lesson, for tips, or pure entertainment. So trough my blog I will be sharing my journey as a naturalista and all the bumps in the road I run into. We'll talk hair care tips, products, and even hairstyles. This blog is to empower and inform, I want you to embrace your kinks, coils, curls, or waves just as they are and if you don't have them yourself encourage somebody you know to own the beauty in their natural hair.

So now that we've talked business, let me share some background on myself. I am Amber, you can call me Amb since I'll be getting personal with you. As a child I begged my mom (as many of us did) to allow me to have my hair relaxed, finally my freshman year in high school she gave in. From 2005 to 2012, I faithfully used "the creamy crack" every 3 months to straighten my naturally wavy hair. Eventually in 2012, I realized relaxers were destroying my hair and honestly there was no beauty in altering my natural hair anymore to fit in. After a second attempt, I've been a naturalista for a little over a year now, my transitioning process took a year and a half before I cut out all of my processed hair. I'm in love with my healthier hair and an advocate for natural hair. I'm no beautician or spokesperson for any hair care company so my talk will be 100% REAL. I'm just as occupied as the next person so I'm on a journey to find a hair regimen that works for my always frizzy hair and crazy schedule, which will ultimately consist of trials and errors. This summer my experience will consist of many trips to the hair store, YouTube tutorials, hours of hair maintenance and sharing every bit of it with you all! And as a bonus for today I'm going to share the the golden secret every naturalista should know... somebody wishes they had your hair so it doesn't need to be fixed baby girl, society just has a broken view of beauty.

Signing off, a true naturalista!

5 comments:

  1. LOVE it!!! I can't wait to talk about remedy for frizz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes dear, we are in this together. No more frizz!

      Delete
  2. This is a very exciting topic! My mother is a hairdresser so I am looking forward to reading some of your tips on how to manage natural curls. I also concur with Susan, I am in need of a remedy for frizz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, frizz is my number one enemy so the fight for a frizz free summer is in full effect. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  3. Great topic, hope you talk about products (more natural products) Janet

    ReplyDelete