Monday, June 29, 2015

Really Vogue? Really?

Every once and a while I pick up a magazine on my way to the train station for my 40 minute ride. Saturday was a bad hair day so it took me some extra time to get it together and I literally had to run for the train! Anyways I didn't get to buy a magazine so I pulled Vogue up on my handy tablet. Being the hair fanatic I am I went straight to Beauty then Hair. And what do I see?



Before I step on my soap box let me state that I tried to see the author's viewpoint and I must say this article was what I thought the worst representation of natural hair. Well that was until I opened up Teen Vogue but I'll get to that later. To spare you the time, the article basically praised the 2 year old daughter of Kim K. and Kanye West for her loosely curled comb-over and her top bun signature style.
Whether a top bun or a comb-over, North’s pint-sized hair styles complement her fashion-forward play clothes, while remaining refreshingly easy and age-appropriate. They’ve established little Nori as a kind of hair icon for a nascent and diverse generation of tots rocking their natural curls with unprecedented flair—among them, my two-year-old niece, Isabel.
Don't get me wrong, North is definitely part of the natural girl community, but inspiring a generation and on top of that unprecedented? What about Blu Ivy though? Beyonce and Jay-Z's 3 year old toddler has been rocking her kinky hair before North was even out the womb. I found this article to be very disturbing in its perception of natural hair. It comes to no surprise that when natural hair gets a moment of shine the light is glamorizing soft textured and loose curled hair. It doesn't end here, Vogue's junior edition Teen Vogue attempted to celebrate natural hair too this month.


The first article I found somewhat irritating, but this one is just disrespectful. "Plaited Ladies" is a piece about different natural hair styles, specifically Senegalese twist a hairstyle, that originated in Africa. Why do I say disrespectful, if you were to go to Google Images and type "natural hairstyles" a variety of pictures would load. That's it. A variety. This piece lacks a diverse representation and noticeably only used fair-skinned models. Vogue, it's 2015 now so the biassed articles can go! If you're going to celebrate natural hair then do it the right way and celebrate its diversity from loose curls to kinky coils and fair-skin to brown-skin.

    Signing off, a true naturalista.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, that's so stupid. Like is it so hard to find a more diverse group of models?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find it so funny when the media talks about the children of celebrities having amazing style and being fashion forward. Who do they think dresses these kids? I doubt North West gets up in the morning, fixes her top knot and then goes shopping for her outfits.

    ReplyDelete