Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Special Q & A With My Hair Crush

We all have our hair crushes. You know, the women who we follow on social media to admire their strands and inspire us to get our hair game up. I've been fortunate enough to have a Q & A with my hair crush, the beautiful Shayla Courtney of @Loclivin. 

@iamshaylacourtney
Q: When and why did you decide to go natural? 
A: I went natural 7 years ago because I was natural when I was younger, after putting a relaxer in my hair it wasn't as healthy anymore. I decided to stop getting relaxers so my hair could grow back healthy. 
Q: How did you transition? 
A: I wore braids for a year and then I chopped off the rest of the relaxer. 
Q: What made you continue the natural journey? 
A: It was an emotional and mental commitment for me. I wanted locs and I did what it took to get there.  
Q: Why did you decide to start locs after going natural? 
A: I was going through a transition in my life and I wanted the experience of being committed to something. The spiritual journey of not cutting anything off from myself symbolizes my hair. My hair is my crown. It has been a journey, its taught me patience. 

Q:What are some of your favorite naturalista hair care products? 
A: Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Dark and Lovely. I use mostly oils. Anything that isn't going to cause excessive build-up.
Q: Was it difficult having locs and working in a "corporate America" environment? 
A: Most of the time my locs were in curls and my co-workers did not know that my hair were actually locs. I did have a co-worker ask me "do you have locs like Bob Marley". That was interesting.  

Q: How do you feel going natural has affected other aspects of your life?
 
A: Well dating, men are attracted to my locs. Its been interesting how many men are attracted to locs, its made my dating score card more diverse. Men in general are attracted to long hair.
Q:How do you feel about faux locs? 
A: I hate them. I find it insulting a little. Just how we talk about people appropriating black culture, people are now appropriating loc life. I've been on this journey for 4 years and you sat down in a chair for a couple of hours, it's insulting.  
Q: What advice do you have for women looking to embark on the naturalista journey? 
A: Take your time, do your research and enjoy the process. 
The journey to natural hair is no joke. After my Q & A with Shayla I reflected on how important my transition was and how it has affected my emotional and mental state. Being able to be apart of natural hair communities can really contribute to this aspect, women have support and are uplifting one another. While every naturalista has her own journey, it's similar to many others. By sharing our stories and experiences we are building a strong foundation for the natural hair lifestyle.

    Signing off, a true naturalista.

No comments:

Post a Comment