Sunday, June 7, 2015

The War Against Frizz

Like many other naturalistas, I have a serious frizz ball on top of my head. It's a year round situation, but when summer comes the real trouble begins. So needless to say it's on top of my priority list. In order to win any war you must have a strategy. Remember the old saying "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" so frizz and I have become very acquainted. What's to know about frizz? Let me share my findings...

So like most people I prefer to wash my hair in the shower and I like my water nice and hot for a relaxing, feel good kind of shower. Occasionally, I have to make the water a little cooler to wash my hair, but the mirrors still stay foggy so the dial doesn't move too much. Well naturalistas, that is the first mistake. Just like the heat outside, hot water causes frizz. Why? Hot water strips our hair of its natural oils, no moisture = FRIZZ.

The next battle in this Frizz War is what product can really do what it says? First, you have to know what ingredient/s you should be looking for. Unfortunately, there's no one ingredient that knocks frizz out of the match. On the flip side there are things you want to stay away from during warmer weather, humectants which are commonly used as, or include glycerin and fructose. So summer = anti-humectants because they repel moisture and winter = humectants because they add moisture.

Have no fear, I will be searching for an anti-humectant leave-in conditioner and will try a cool water wash very soon!

      Signing off, a true naturalista!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. So do I, but the road to a frizz-free summer must start with cool water. You can do it!

      Delete
  2. I always forget which to use in summer, humectant v anti. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete